Where Can I Apply?
Utah Career Center
640 North Billy Mitchell Road
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
Requirements to Apply for Our Apprenticeship:
• Must come to our office in person to pick up an application
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age. No maximum age limit.
• Must have a High School Diploma or GED Certificate
• We will also ask you for a copy of your High School Transcripts
• You must also pass a 10 panel drug test, options for test will be provided at our office
• We will also provide 3 assessment tests to applicants once their application is complete, covering reading comprehension, English and mathematics topics, these tests take approximately one hour to complete.
When to Apply?
• Applications are taken on a year-round basis with job interviews conducted on an as needed basis, usually twice a year in the spring and fall.
I want to apply but can you tell me more?
Utah Career Center is an Apprenticeship Program that offers 2 pathways for employment. You can join our plumbing, pipefitting and welding program where you will learn all three sides of the journeyman trade or you can join our HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning program).
What is an Apprenticeship Program?
An apprenticeship program is much like an “earn and learn” training model that combines on-the-job learning with related classroom instruction. Apprentices gain hands on training, while working full time for one of our Union Contractors. Apprentices will attend school three nights a week for three hours or all day on Saturday from 8:00AM-5:00PM. .
How long does it take to complete the program?
Our apprenticeship program is a 5 year program and follows the guidelines for licensure with the Utah Department of Labor. Utah Career Center provides you with a job and schooling at the same time and is very similar to a college degree. You are also likely to graduate with no school debt and you will leave our program making a journeyman’s wage over $40 an hour.
In order to become a licensed plumber, pipefitter and welder: the following requirements must be met:
• Completion of a plumber's apprenticeship education program (576 classroom hours).
• 8,000 hours of licensed plumbing experience working under supervision of a licensed journeyman or master plumber.
• Pass the Utah Plumber Theory and Practical exams.
What Do You Earn?
• Wages begin at $22.25 per hour
• 5% wage increase 2 times per year after the first year
• Family Health Insurance after three months/300 hours
• Two Pensions after six months
During the term of your Five-Year Apprenticeship you can earn over $360,000+ in Wages and Fringe Benefits!
You are sponsored by the Local Union and the Mechanical Contractors Association during your Apprenticeship. You will be required to pay tuition and purchase your books each Semester. You will attend your class room training in the Salt Lake City training facility owned and operated by the Utah Pipe Trades Education Program. You will register with Salt Lake Community College. Tuition will be approximately $575 and books approximately $150 per semester.
Upon Completion each Apprentice receives:
• A Certificate of Completion from the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training. .